Thursday, July 20, 2017

STATE FIRE MARSHAL REMINDS ALL MARYLANDERS OF FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY ISSUES DURING POWER OUTAGES

media

STATE FIRE MARSHAL REMINDS ALL MARYLANDERS
OF FIRE AND LIFE SAFETY ISSUES DURING POWER OUTAGES


          STATEWIDE (July 20, 2017) – Severe storms may cause disruption in electrical service to our homes.  State Fire Marshal Brian S. Geraci is cautioning citizens when using alternative light and electrical sources during power outages. “These easy to follow tips will help all Marylanders avoid injury or death during power outages,” said the State Fire Marshal. 
  • Use flashlights during power outages instead of burning candles.  Keep plenty of fresh       batteries on hand at all times.   If you prefer the look of candles, consider flameless battery         operated candles that offer the flickering light without the potential fire hazard.
  • If using candles, make sure they are placed on a stable piece of furniture in sturdy holders         that will not tip over. Candles should fit in the holders securely and the holders should be           made of material that will not burn. 
  • Keep candles away from anything combustible, such as; clothing, books, papers, curtains,         decorations or anything else that can burn. 
  • Do not place candles where they can be knocked over by children or pets.
  • Always extinguish all candles when leaving the room or before going to sleep. 
  • Never use candles, matches or lighters if medical oxygen therapy is used in the home. 
  • Charged solar landscape lighting can be brought indoors for temporary lighting as a safe and     effective alternative to candles.
  • Ensure burners on electric stoves are in the off position during a power outage and remove       any items from the stovetop to prevent unattended heating when the power is turned back on.                                                                                          
  • Fuel burning appliances can produce the deadly, tasteless and odorless gas known as carbon   monoxide.  Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide an early warning of       carbon monoxide exposure.
  • If you are depending on portable generators for electricity during power outages, use extreme   caution when refueling.  Fuel splashed on a hot muffler could ignite, causing severe burns and   serious injuries. 
  • Never attempt to refuel a generator while it is running.  Always allow the unit to cool before         attempting to refuel. 
  • Operate generators outside of the home and outside of garages.  Carbon monoxide gas           produced by operating generators is poisonous and can quickly cause severe injury or death.
  • Ensure placement of the generator does not allow carbon monoxide to enter the home               through windows, doors or other openings. 
      The State Fire Marshal offers one final tip that is just as important. “Make sure your home is equipped with working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.  These early notification devices are some of the most effective fire and life safety tools for preventing injury or death from fire and carbon monoxide poisoning”.

Gen

Alternative

1 comment:

ansondavid said...

Fire safety is everyone's responsibility. You can find the top companies of commercial Fire Extinguishers in New York.