I think unless you aren't feeling anything you felt the earthquake they are reporting was a 5.9 in Mineral Virginia. It was some scary stuff for us non California people. What did you feel
I felt the whole damn floor rolling under me like on some damn amusement ride
I can tell you I have never felt that before in my life here in Salisbury
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 8/23/2011 02:09:00 PM
What to Do During an EarthquakeStay as safe as possible during an earthquake. Be aware that some earthquakes are actually foreshocks and a larger earthquake might occur. Minimize your movements to a few steps to a nearby safe place and if you are indoors, stay there until the shaking has stopped and you are sure exiting is safe.
- DROP to the ground; take COVER by getting under a sturdy table or other piece of furniture; and HOLD ON until the shaking stops. If there isn’t a table or desk near you, cover your face and head with your arms and crouch in an inside corner of the building.
- Stay away from glass, windows, outside doors and walls, and anything that could fall, such as lighting fixtures or furniture.
- Stay in bed if you are there when the earthquake strikes. Hold on and protect your head with a pillow, unless you are under a heavy light fixture that could fall. In that case, move to the nearest safe place.
- Use a doorway for shelter only if it is in close proximity to you and if you know it is a strongly supported, loadbearing doorway.
- Stay inside until the shaking stops and it is safe to go outside. Research has shown that most injuries occur when people inside buildings attempt to move to a different location inside the building or try to leave.
- Be aware that the electricity may go out or the sprinkler systems or fire alarms may turn on.
- DO NOT use the elevators.
- Stay there.
- Move away from buildings, streetlights, and utility wires.
- Once in the open, stay there until the shaking stops. The greatest danger exists directly outside buildings, at exits and alongside exterior walls. Many of the 120 fatalities from the 1933 Long Beach earthquake occurred when people ran outside of buildings only to be killed by falling debris from collapsing walls. Ground movement during an earthquake is seldom the direct cause of death or injury. Most earthquake-related casualties result from collapsing walls, flying glass, and falling objects.
If in a moving vehicle
- Stop as quickly as safety permits and stay in the vehicle. Avoid stopping near or under buildings, trees, overpasses, and utility wires.
- Proceed cautiously once the earthquake has stopped. Avoid roads, bridges, or ramps that might have been damaged by the earthquake.
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 8/23/2011 02:08:00 PM
I think the thing that the uneducated about how our Council works may not understand, is that there was zero reason to bring an override vote to a legislative session. Terry knew they did not have the necessary votes from the first vote taken on the matter but had to make public displays of the Daily Times and anyone else she felt had opposed their efforts.
I really enjoy the new Council rules of Order where Terry Cohen gets to read excerpts from the Daily Times to point out how mistreated she is in the paper. The truth is she hates to see her BS displayed to the public so that they catch on to her vicious game of BS and payback. The Council should be using that time to move forward with something to help the community instead of continuing down the road of vindictiveness and pettiness.
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 8/23/2011 01:00:00 PM
Over the weekend at Billy Gene Jackson Sr. Park the Wicomico County State's Attorney's Office along with Local Law Enforcement had a nice meeting with residents which allowed them to get to know their Local Law Enforcement and it was an opportunity for the children to be educated on the dangers of drugs and alcohol.
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 8/23/2011 10:00:00 AM
Well as expected the three stooges took the opportunity to take shots at Laura Mitchell for not supporting overriding Jim Ireton's veto of their vendetta plan against PAC14.
They used all the oldest tricks in the book to label Laura fiscally irresponsible and it really was a pathetic display by the two C's and their lackey boy Tim. Why in the hell would anyone want to work with these rejects? Terry Cohen sat right there and told a bold face lie saying nobody on council had any reason to be against PAC14.
I guess the fact that PAC14 asked to have Debbie replaced on the board with someone else because she was always negative about their direction doesn't count in her thick head. Thank you Laura Mitchell for standing up to the evil trio
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 8/23/2011 09:00:00 AM