Tuesday, December 7, 2010
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 12/07/2010 07:39:00 PM
PLEASE help with donations to cover funeral costs for Charlie Parker
501 Snow Hill Road
Salisbury, MD 21804-6030
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 12/07/2010 05:12:00 PM
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 12/07/2010 04:33:00 PM
POLLITT SWORN IN FOR SECOND TERM
For Immediate Release
December 7, 2010
Richard M. Pollitt, Jr., took the oath of office for the second time as Wicomico County Executive at noon today. In 2006, Mr. Pollitt was elected as Wicomico County’s first executive joining six other county executives in Maryland.
Following the swearing-in ceremony, Mr. Pollitt said, “It has been the honor of a lifetime to serve as our county’s first executive and the re-affirmation of the public’s confidence in me on Election Day has only enhanced my desire to continue to serve for another four years. These are challenging times for Wicomico County and I pledge to work on a bipartisan basis to keep our county strong. The time has come to grasp the reins of government with vigor and solid purpose to bring our community to its fullest potential. The hand-wringing and moaning and groaning about how bad things are must come to an end. We must, as one community, declare our independence from despair and commit ourselves to the obligations of citizenship that call us together to keep our county strong.”
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 12/07/2010 04:12:00 PM
I am emailing for your support. On December 13th the City of Salisbury Council will vote into legislation to accept our offer to purchase the Former Station 16 Firehouse. A successful vote will allow us the opportunity to negotiate the disposition agreement between us and the city.
*Attached is an executive summary of our project*
The only (known) opposition has been the Local Owner Restaurant Association (LORA), they oppose because they believe the following:
· Will be a state funded restaurant operation much like the Commons at SU creating unfair competition
· Will become a non-profit and not pay real estate taxes
· $100,000 offer price is below market
· Not zoned for apartments on the 3rd floor
· Process is happening to fast
Black Diamond Catering:
· For profit operation
· The main operator of the venue and event planner.
· LORA member.
· Would coordinate events such as banquets, conventions, meetings, shows, dinner theaters, art exhibits within the Firehouse potentially using staff from the H.E.I.
· In charge of creating the right atmosphere to appeal the specific event.
· Karl Binns and University of Maryland Eastern Shore will create a training and resource center for people working in the hospitality industry as well as those who are considering opening a hospitably business.
· H.E.I seeks to actively serve the hospitality and tourism industry and the local community as a resource for information, training, development and growth in the pursuit of hospitality excellence.
· Participants in the H.E.I program will use space in the basement and ground level of the building.
· Participants in H.E.I. will assist with events hosted in the Firehouse.
· The H.E.I. will NOT be responsible for the daily operations of the Firehouse
TAXABLE REAL ESTATE:
· The firehouse is currently not taxed, once ownership changes hands, the property will be taxable
· The City of Salisbury publicly requested proposals in September of 2009, this was a competitive public process, the best price was brought, monetary value was only 5% of the scoring criteria, 60% of the scoring criteria was the plan for the real estate and the positive impact on the City of Salisbury
· The property is within the central business district (CBD) and above ground level apartments are allowed within the CBD
LENGTH OF PROCESS:
· The firehouse has been vacant since 2008, the public has been aware of the vacant building since that time, the building was declared surplus and request for proposals were requested in 2009, almost two years have past.
Posted by Jonathan Taylor at 12/07/2010 02:33:00 PM